The Background: The FDA has approved a new medicine to treat type two diabetes. Share this news with anyone you know who’s on Type 2 diabetes medications.
- The new drug is called Tirzepatide.
- The news is making the rounds because this medicine is going to be delivered by injection. And you only need to get it once a week!
Doctor’s Expert Insights
Here’s What You Need to Know: This is great news! We need all the tools available to us to fight the battle against diabetes. Tirzepatide belongs to a class of medicines that’s been proven to reduce both your weight and A1c. That’s great!
The Big Picture: But, there’s something that we don’t know, yet. We don’t know if this medicine (Tirzepatide) is also going to be effective in providing heart health protection.
Take Home Message: Diabetic people have a very high risk of heart disease.
When it comes to diabetes medications, heart health protection is a very important thing.
- I’m telling my patients, for now, that this news is great.
- Your doctor may prescribe Tirzepatide, for you.
- Just make sure you talk to your doctor about other medicines that are also proven to provide heart health protection if you have diabetes.
Next Steps: Please keep in mind the most common side effects are nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
The medicine, unfortunately, may not be available from all insurance carriers.
Talk to your doctors about it.